We came mid-afternoon today and parked near the Subway chair. This is where you often see family picnics, parking lot tailgates, and dogs playing in the snow.
It’s only been a couple of days since the recent storm dropped 17″ of snow and thanks to the cold of late, the snow is still damn good. This is the kinda snow you usually find in northern states like Montana or Wyoming.
We rode the Subway chair and skied down to the Roundhouse to check out the groomers first. We noticed a few icy patches at the upper section of the Werner’s Schuss, but it was good overall with soft bumps, especially on the side of the run. We like to ski on the edge of the runs which sees less traffic, so the snow is softer there.
After the first run, we got up on the Summit lift and ventured to our favorite spot – Wolverine bowl. It was windy on top and you could see the wind blowing snow over the ridge. Gorgeous. The snow was very firm on top of the run with some bumps, but if you veer into either right or left it was softer and actually quite good. After Wolverine, we went to Alpine bowl and found really good stashes under Palisades as this part is sheltered from the wind.
It was windy today anywhere close to the mountain top and it will be like that again tomorrow, so the snow might be more affected by the wind tomorrow – heads up. Watch out for the firm spots, especially in the steeper pitches that get more skier traffic, like Palisades and the Face.
If you like live music, don’t miss it at Alpine Bar tomorrow from 2pm to 5pm!
Tips for This Weekend
- Avoid arriving between 9am and 11am. You either want to be here early, or just for a half day in the afternoon.
- Check parking lot status using the Palisades Tahoe Mobile App.
- If lots fill up, head back to either Truckee or Tahoe City and hop on our free Park & Ride shuttle.
- If you are staying in either valley, use the free Mountaineer shuttle. You can call this shuttle like an Uber/Lyft and it will drop you off wherever you need to go: the resort, your AirBnB, a rental shop, etc.
- Print your tickets using the free self-serve kiosks in the Funitel Plaza at Palisades or outside Estelle Sports in the Alpine Lodge.
- Many of our dining establishments offer convenient online ordering.
- Avoid afternoon traffic when you stick around for apres or dinner.
- Want to check out Tahoe City? Summon the free TART Connect shuttle from The Village at Palisades Tahoe and get dropped off wherever you’d like.