It’s starting to feel a little bit more like summer out there. The snow is melting rapidly, so lift closures are ahead — but don’t put those skis away just yet! We still have Snow Golf, Cushing Crossing, and the FREE Spring Tracks concert with G. Love & DJ Logic coming up. Plus, you can enjoy fun on-mountain springtime ski activities like the wiggles on Shirley or terrain park features on Gold Coast & Belmont.
We know a few folks were surprised by KT-22’s midday closure a few days ago. If you remember last week’s blog, we told you that if we lost the access road for KT, we’d have to close it down. What we didn’t anticipate (and you probably weren’t anticipating, either) is that it happened in the middle of the day due to snowmelt. Losing the access road is a major safety issue; if we can’t get a snowcat up the hill and there is a mishap, we can all find ourselves in a bad situation. Our grooming crew says they are “shocked” by the quick decrease in snow that occurred. They shared today that they were driving by dirt spots that had a foot of snow just yesterday. So warm temps are really working the mountain and our ops crew for all we’ve got.
That said, the season is not over yet! As usual, Palisades Tahoe plans to have the longest ski season in the Tahoe basin. We are going to keep lifts spinning for as long as we possibly can.
There’s SNOW in the forecast! A small, fast-moving storm is headed this way Monday night. The cool temperatures will be helpful, and we’re expecting about 6 inches total on the mountain. Winds could impact lifts on Sunday afternoon, Monday, and Tuesday. The chance for snow showers continues through next week.
Lift, Terrain, & Conditions Updates: Alpine
- Alpine’s last day of winter operations will be Sunday, April 17th.
- This weekend we will be spinning Summit, Roundhouse, Treeline Cirque, Yellow, Alpine Bowl Chair, Meadow & Big Carpet. Mid-week, we may drop a few of those depending on conditions.
Lift, Terrain, & Conditions Updates: Palisades
- The last day for Red Dog will likely be April 10th. Join us this weekend to say goodbye: The Red Dog triple chair is getting replaced with a high-speed six-pack for next season, which means this weekend will be its last weekend ever. We’ll be releasing more details about this exciting project in a separate operations blog soon. There’s a small chance we might be able to keep it open a bit longer, but get your last turns in now to be safe!
- The last day for Resort Chair is likely April 10th as well. It is very thin over there, but we are doing our best to keep getting machines on snow.
- Dirt is showing on Mountain Run‘s lower half, but we also hope to keep it through Sunday, April 10th. We may have to stop grooming it, but we will keep it open as long as possible.
- We are expecting another week or so for Big Blue, Bailey’s Beach, Mountain Meadow, and Belmont. We are harvesting snow for this area as much as we can.
- First Ventures lift is closed for the season.
- A FIS racing event is taking place on a section of Siberia through Sunday.