This is a December to remember — maybe even another #DEEPcember? In just 11 days, Palisades Tahoe received more than 9 feet of snow. That’s an average of 10+ inches per day! Our teams braved winds of over 160mph, snowfall rates of more than 6 inches per hour, and extreme weather impacts to get the mountain open for some fantastic skiing and riding. Our crews opened 11 new chairlifts across both mountains since the first of December, a huge feat that we couldn’t be more stoked about. Let’s look back at some of the incredible moments and footage we captured of this storm cycle.
This early December snowfall moved in as a few separate systems. Our first significant snowfall brought about 20 inches on the upper mountain by the 2nd of December. After this past weekend, our storm total was more than 35 inches at both mountains, and by Monday, December 12th, we had surpassed the 9-foot mark.
BEHIND THE SCENES
We dug out chairlifts and snowcats. We maintained access roads in zero visibility. We performed a huge amount of avalanche control. We broke rime ice off of chairlifts. We shoveled like crazy. We cleared walkways and parking lots with heavy machinery. It was a wild ride — and a thrilling one.
The winds on Saturday, December 10th were especially gnarly. Let’s take a look at some of the crazy footage our operations crew at Palisades grabbed of these conditions. You truly have to see it to believe it!
HUGE SNOW TOTALS
We hit a bunch of cool milestones throughout these first few weeks of December:
- The Saturday, December 10th storm brought our 6th highest storm total on record.
- We are now at 125% of the average snowpack for the month of December!
It was *shockingly* deep in some places, not just on the mountain but also in our Village and near our base lodges.
Two words: Snorkel. Season. It was THAT deep out there this past week. Thanks to the huge snowfall totals and the intense winds that we received, there were some stashes that were just unbelievable. We’re talking chest-deep in some areas and face shots for days. In fact, this week we’ve overheard rumblings in liftlines that this is some of the best December skiing in memory. We have to agree. Conditions right now are absolutely all-time.
If you want to read more about our current conditions, check out our Conditions Blogs, powered by SnowBrains. 4-5 times per week, they’re posting super-transparent recaps of their day out on the hill. You can also receive these in your email inbox when your sign up for our Palisades Tahoe Ski & Ride Report.
THE MOUNTAINS DRESSED IN WHITE
With all of the fun we’ve been having, it’s also important to take a step back and appreciate the scenic beauty of these mountains we call home. A fresh coat of snow brings a whole new sense of wonder to our world, and views of the Sierra Nevada never disappoint.
Now’s The Time To Be Up Here!
Quick Links To Plan Your Winter
- The Tahoe Super 4-Pack: Ski any 4 days at $132 per day or any 4 days at $112 per day. That’s savings of up to 60%! Hurry, prices increase on 12/18. Get Yours Now.
- The Village at Palisades Tahoe Hotel: You’ll be just steps from the slopes and in the heart of all the fun, including dining, shopping and activities in The Village at Palisades Tahoe. Plus, you’re just a short drive away from stunning Lake Tahoe! Almost all of our rooms have private balconies, full kitchens and in-room fireplaces. You also can access all 8 of our outdoor hot tubs & free underground parking. Book Now.
- Lessons & Guides: Join one of our lessons, starting from either The Village at Palisades Tahoe or the Alpine Lodge. Our programs will help you boost your confidence, refine your skills, and have fun on the mountain. The Palisades Tahoe Ski & Snowboard School offers lesson programs for any skill level, including advanced-level mountain guide programs, for those who want to enjoy the best of Lake Tahoe’s skiing and snowboarding. Pick Your Experience.