We stay cold with highs in the 30s Wednesday. Some sun and clouds are expected with clouds increasing later in the day ahead of the next storm. Ridgetop winds from the west-southwest gusting up to 50-60+ mph up top.
Wednesday Night – Thursday Storm:
The next storm moves in around 6-8 PM Wednesday evening and continues into Thursday, and showers could linger into Thursday night. Snow levels start below the base Wednesday night but then rise Thursday into Thursday night up to 6000 – 7000 ft. That could change snow to rain near the base.
It stays cold with highs only in the 30s. The winds crank up again for Thursday with gusts from the southwest up to 80+ mph up top. That will likely close some lifts. We could see 3-7 inches of new snow at the base and 7-14 inches on the mountain by Friday morning.
Friday – Saturday Storm:
During the day on Friday, we could see a break between storms with some sun and clouds. But showers could also continue with little break between storms. Highs into the 40s at the base & 30s up top. Ridgetop winds from the southwest gusting up to 60+ mph in the morning, possibly dropping some by midday, and then increasing again through the afternoon. Snow levels rise up to 6800-7800 ft. so any showers could be rain on the lower mountain.
Friday night into Saturday the next storm is expected to push more rain and snow into the northern Sierra. Snow levels could fall to around 6000-7000 ft. by early Saturday morning and then staying in that range through the day. The showers could end by the end of the day. Highs in the 30s. Ridgetop winds up to 100+ mph up top in the morning falling to 60-70+ mph by afternoon, likely closing some upper mountain lifts.
Rain & snow at the base making the forecast tricky, but estimates are for 0-5 inches at the base depending on whether or not we change to snow by Saturday morning. 7-13 inches of new snow are possible on the mountain above 7000 ft. by Saturday evening.
Sunday – Monday:
We should see nicer weather for Easter Sunday as the sun comes out, the winds drop down, and highs warm into the 40s and near 50 degrees at the base. The nice weather should continue into Monday but with increasing winds and clouds throughout the day.
Ridgetop winds gusting up to 40+ mph Sunday and then strong winds are possible for Monday ahead of the next storm. That could close some upper mountain lifts.
The next storm could move in as early as Monday night into Tuesday. This system could stay just to our north or we could see some light-moderate rain & snow. We will continue to fine-tune the forecast as we get closer.
We could see a break Wednesday before another storm moves in later next week. Some models show a decent storm for Thursday into Friday and others show a storm for Friday into Saturday the 23rd.
Then we could see a drier pattern return starting Sunday the 24th into the week of the 25th. We’ll continue to watch the trends for each as we get closer.