After an exciting May refresh of snow this week, we will be opening again on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for skiing and snowboarding. This snow will help us stay on the mountain through the end of May with Lake Tahoe’s longest ski season. It will feel like spring out there, so get those boards and skis waxed, and come in costume: This weekend is Rodeo-themed. Our hours are still 9am-4pm, though that could change as soon as next week. As always, you can get updates in our next Operations Blog.
- Temperatures are going to warm throughout the week and in the base area, we will be in the high 60s with light winds.
- We do not have any more freezing nights in the forecast for a while for the next few days, so snowmelt will pick up through the weekend.
Groomers are the place to be this weekend. We have had our grooming teams working around the clock since yesterday, so all the key spots will be in top shape: Siberia face and ridge, the Gold Coast zone, the Shirley tree runs, and all beginner lift areas. In the base area, all of the new snow we received is mostly melted, and up top, the snow has settled at about 8 inches. Due to the warming temperatures, there will be a risk of wet slides throughout the weekend. For this reason, we will have limited if any hiking terrain open. Ski patrol will assess conditions throughout the day. Additionally, if snowmelt accelerates rapidly, it is possible that we might call some terrain midday. Real-time updates related to last-minute terrain closures can be found on our Mountain Ops Twitter. Please be aware that even with new snow earlier this week, late-season conditions exist. If you choose to ski off-piste, ski carefully as rocks and other hazards may be just below the surface and unmarked.
All photos taken by Kate Abraham
Lift & Terrain Updates
- Lifts will be spinning from 9am-4pm on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- This weekend, Granite Chief will be CLOSED due to significant snowmelt on the ridge.
- We will be aiming to run Big Blue, Mountain Meadow, Bailey’s Beach, the Aerial Tram, the Funitel, Gold Coast, Shirley, and Siberia. Solitude is closed and VERY thin at the bottom, but we are trying to keep it somewhat maintained so that we can open it in the event another lift goes down.
- As a reminder, Mountain Run is CLOSED for the season.
- There will be Ski Teams training on 5th Tree of off Shirley. Please be respectful of their space.
- Our Parks Crew has cleaned up the Gold Coast Terrain Park following this week’s storm and they also added a few new features. Gold Coast Terrain Park will be open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.