Small refreshes can go a long way, and with another winter storm coming in over the next two days, we are hoping that more terrain expansion is in the future. You should know that Saturday is going to be a storm day. Expect lower mountain terrain to be open, but it will be cold and windy. Those winds could affect upper mountain chairlifts as early as tomorrow (Friday). However, it’s starting to feel a lot more like winter around here, and we have some exciting updates. Here is what to expect over the next 4-5 days:
Winds are expected to affect ridgetop lifts starting on Friday. On Saturday, winds will be even stronger with ridgetop gusts over 90 miles per hour. Upper mountain lifts are very likely to be affected. The good news is that this wind event brings snowfall! It currently looks like we could see 8-14 inches at the base and 11-18 inches on the mountain by Sunday morning. This means Sunday is going to be a big day on the hill, so please be prepared. There are some tips at the bottom of this blog.
Lift & Terrain Updates: Palisades
- There are likely to be wind and weather impacts on ridgetop lifts like Siberia as well as the Tram and the Gondola on Friday and Saturday.
- If weather and conditions allow, we will aim to open Emigrant tomorrow. The ramps are built and Ski Patrol feels confident about this area, but winds are the deciding factor here.
- There is a chance Far East could open on Saturday if all upper mountain lifts are closed.
- Big Blue is getting close. We know some of you are eager to have this open and hopefully, we will have an update within the next day or two.
- We are working on KT-22. A bit more snow here would be promising to get this lift open. The top is built out and we will continue work on the bottom for the next few days. Expect an update on Monday or Tuesday.
- We are also working on Solitude. The bottom is thin. The bottom of Granite Chief is also quite thin. We will likely open Solitude before Granite. Granite needs more snow.
- We are making snow at the bottom of Headwall, but we have not been able to get a snowcat to the top yet to build the access road. Our grooming manager tried today!
Lift & Terrain Updates: Alpine
- Tiegel Terrain Park opened yesterday with 9 features.
- We are focusing our snowmaking efforts on Scott moving forward. It takes nearly a week of good snowmaking in this area to have a high confidence level, and we’re hoping Mother Nature helps us out, too. We do not have an ETA as of right now.
- Opening Treeline Cirque to the top is on our radar, but we do not have an ETA.
- We are far out from having anything on the backside open. Pray for snow!
Don’t Give Into Powder Panic
- Have a parking plan. Free parking reservations are sold out for both Saturday and Sunday, but cancellation of reservations is allowed until 8am day-of. This means you can check to see if free spots open back up until 8am the day you arrive.
- Use the app to get updates. We send push notifications for lift & terrain updates and you can also get real-time lift line wait times. Get the app here.
- Obey all signage. Do not attempt to ski in closed areas. This is for your safety and for the safety of your crew. Snow coverage is still VERY thin in some areas and you are putting yourself and others at risk.
WANT THIS BLOG TO COME TO YOUR EMAIL INBOX?
Sign up for our Mountain Operations email list, and we’ll send this blog directly to you every time we have an update. We’ll share another update soon. SUBSCRIBE NOW.
HOW TO GET OPERATIONS UPDATES THIS SEASON
Bookmark these pages:
Not wanting to check the website constantly? Try these other methods:
- Follow our Mountain Operations X (formerly Twitter) account
- Sign up for the Palisades Tahoe Ski & Ride Report (Weather Blogs + Conditions Blogs are included here)
- Download the Palisades Tahoe App
Do you have any requests for this season’s Operations Blogs? Topics you’d like to see covered or information you think is missing? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback.