7+ Inches of new snow today & more expected tonight
The storm moved in around 5:45am this morning, and it’s been dumping all day! As of 1pm, Squaw Valley Ski Patrol Director unofficially reported 7 inches of new snow on the upper mountain with even more accumulation on the ridges. We could see a 10″ storm total by tomorrow morning.
Light, Fluffy Powder Today
Deep turns in North Peril this afternoon at Alpine Meadows. Skier: Maggie Eshbaugh. Photo: Ben Arnst
Constant snow showers made for low visibility, but the stoke was incredibly high. As we plowed through the fluffy powder, skiers and riders were thrilled to be reminded of much how fun winter storm days are.
High winds kept Headwall, Emigrant, Granite Chief, Solitude and Scott chairs from opening today. Winds are expected to decrease tomorrow and these lifts are on the schedule, so head to those zones for more fresh tracks!
Weekend Weather and Beyond
With highs in the 20s this weekend, be sure to bundle up this weekend on the slopes. The low temps will keep the snow cold and soft, so skiing should be great all weekend! Winds could pick up on Sunday ahead of the next storm moving in on Monday, which is forecasted to drop similar amounts of snow as this current storm! Beyond that the stormy pattern continues.
After a break the middle of next week, a more potent storm pulling in more moisture could bring significant snowfall next Thursday-Friday
– Bryan Allegreto’s weather blog
It looks like Mother Nature will continue to bring on the wintry weather and snow!
Photo: Kate Abraham
There are a ton of fun events for the whole family this weekend! Don’t miss the Oakley Grom Jam this Saturday in Belmont Park to watch as young shredders compete on rails and jibs to showcase their park skills. This event is FREE.
Other fun events not to miss:
- Disco Tubing: Bright lights, music and tubing fun this Friday & Saturday evening at SnoVentures – get your tickets before they sell out!
- Feel Good Fridays: Head to the Auld Dubliner for $5 drink specials, raffles and live music to support Achieve Tahoe
- Friday Night Tasting Notes: Free tastings from New Belgium Brewery at Plaza Bar from 3:30-5pm with live music by Rob Leines Trio
- Winter Music in The Village: Jonathan Hennion plays 2-4pm on Saturday
- Winter Après at Alpine Bar: Rob Lienes Trio will rock the Alpine Lodge from 1-4pm on Saturday
- Winter Après at Plaza Bar: Jelly Bread Duo plays live at 1-4pm Saturday
- Winter Fireworks: The show goes off at 6:30pm – watch from the KT Base Bar and warm up in Plaza Bar