Winter in Tahoe City: We think this is what it would feel like to live inside of a snow globe. Found on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe, this charming town offers a unique blend of winter activities, cozy escapes, and scenic beauty. This post will detail winter experiences and give you some tips so you can make the most of your visit to Tahoe City, California this winter.
1. Snow Sports Galore: Tahoe City is a winter sports paradise, with several world-class ski resorts just a short drive away. Whether you’re a seasoned skier, a snowboarder, or a complete beginner, you’ll find something to suit your style. If you’re coming to Tahoe City for snow sports, you’re coming to Palisades Tahoe:
- Stay A While: Book a stay at The Village at Palisades Tahoe for slope side lodging (sleep in a little later and still catch first tracks!), included resort parking, access to all EIGHT of our outdoor hot tubs, dining, shopping, events, and more.
- Fun Fact: We hosted the 1960 Winter Olympics where we also pioneered the use of snowmaking machines to ensure the success of the games. Read more on our snowmaking each year here.
- Our Terrain: We have something for everyone here. From first-time riders to thrill-seekers, there’s no shortage of terrain at Palisades Tahoe. Check out our app to survey the terrain and plan some routes with friends!
2. Cross-Country Skiing, Snowshoeing, and Backcountry Touring: Tahoe City’s extensive network of trails and snowshoeing routes makes it a haven for those who prefer a quieter, more remote experience. You can explore places like the Tahoe City Winter Sports Park or Paige Meadows for beautiful winter excursions.
3. Winter Adventures Beyond the Slopes: Tahoe City offers more than just skiing and snowboarding:
- Snowmobiling: Embark on a snowmobiling adventure through the serene forests surrounding Lake Tahoe.
- Ice Skating: The Tahoe City Winter Sports Park features an ice skating rink, offering family-friendly fun for all ages.
- Snow Tubing at Palisades Tahoe: For a silly date or a fun time with the family, grab some tubes and hit the slopes!
- Commons Beach: Get an all-encompassing view of Lake Tahoe and the surrounding snow-capped mountains from one of our favorite local beaches.
- See A Movie: Cozy up with some popcorn and a new release at The Tahoe Art Haus & Cinema. This theater is “an independent, one-screen theater in the heart of downtown Tahoe City” whose mission is “to curate the best major motion pictures, independent cinema and local films that entertain and spark conversation, and to bring people together as a community.”
4. Dining and Après-Ski: Warm up and refuel at one of the many local restaurants, bars, and breweries. Enjoy a hearty meal or sip on hot cocoa by the fire. In Tahoe City, Jake’s on the Lake will give you a great lakeview, and Sunnyside is the spot if you’re looking for something higher-end. If you’re staying with us in The Village, grab a pizza from Fireside Pizza Company or a frothy beer from the Auld Dubliner Irish Pub. One of our other favorite spots outside of The Village at Palisades Tahoe is Moe’s Original BBQ in Tahoe City. Enjoy some belly-warming BBQ after a long day of adventuring in the cold!
5. Winter Events: Tahoe City hosts a variety of winter events, including holiday celebrations, parades, and even the annual SnowFest, a winter carnival that brings the community together with fun activities, parties, and more.
6. Safety and Preparedness: Before heading toward the Sierra Mountain Range, make sure to check weather and road conditions and pack your car with layers, extra food, safety items, and chains (if needed).
7. Be Flexible: Winter weather can be unpredictable, so be flexible with your plans and activities. Sometimes, a change in the weather can lead to unique and memorable experiences.
8. Take the Tahoe Pledge: Travel responsibly and follow these initiatives.