One inch of snow on the upper mountain as of 6 AM as the snow continues to fall. We may have 2-3 inches by opening as the snow continues to fall, but strong winds up top may cause some lift closures. Rain is falling at the base but we could see snow mix in or a change to snow during the morning.
Rain & snow continue Tuesday morning. The heaviest precipitation is expected Tuesday morning as the cold front moves through. Then we should see the precipitation diminish into the afternoon and clear out by evening. Snow levels could dip near the base during the morning and then possibly bumping back up into the afternoon to around 6500-7000 ft.
Highs in the 30s. Ridgetop winds gusting up to 80+ mph first thing in the morning and then falling to 50-60+ mph by the end of the day. That could delay/prevent some lift openings on the upper mountain. At the base, we could see a coating up to a few inches of new snow depending on the snow levels, and 3-7 inches of new snow expected on the upper mountain by Tuesday evening.
Wednesday Night – Friday Storm:
We have a break between storms Tuesday night into Wednesday afternoon. Highs into the 40s at the base Wednesday and 30s up top. Ridgetop winds cranking back up from the southwest with gusts up to 80+ mph by afternoon, likely closing some upper mountain lifts again.
Rain & snow push in Wednesday evening around 5-8 PM based on the latest forecast model runs. Snow levels up around 7000-8000 ft. to start with rain at the base and on the lower mountain. Heavy precipitation pushes in overnight into Thursday with snow levels falling to around 5500-6000 ft. by Thursday morning, so we should see a change to snow at the base.
Highs in the 30s for Thursday as the snow continues. Winds gusting up to 80+ mph up top Thursday morning and falling to 40-50+ mph during the afternoon, which should delay some upper mountain lift openings. Snow levels falling below 6000 ft. by Thursday evening. Decent snow showers are possible Thursday night as snow levels fall below 5000 ft.
Friday lighter scattered showers could continue into Friday afternoon before clearing out by evening. Snow levels could rise back up to 6000-7000 ft. by afternoon with a few rain showers possible at the base at the end of the storm.
This should be an impressive snowstorm by April standards. We could see 9-15 inches of new snow at the base, and 17-27 inches on the mountain by Friday afternoon. We will continue to fine-tune the forecast as we get closer.
The weather should become nicer over the weekend as high pressure builds in. We could see sunny skies and highs warming into the 40s Saturday and then 50s at the base Sunday. We should have lighter winds as well. The nice weather should continue next week.
The storm track could be just to our north by the end of the month into early May, so we will have to watch for any possible storms trying to dip into northern CA. We’ll keep an eye on the trends for late month into May. Closing day is still slated for 5/1, but stay tuned in case that changes.