Looking back at the snowiest December on Record
We are closing out 2021 with awesome prime conditions and our snowiest December on record! #DEEPcember delivered a total of 211” of snowfall in the month. That’s 17.5 feet!
Here are a few fun facts about the snowfall we saw in this most recent storm and to-date, and how it compares to previous seasons:
- The storm total at Palisades Tahoe for this 9-day mega storm (December 22-30) was 124” or more than 10 feet
- This was our snowiest December on record at the resort (our records go back to 1970). This December we received over 3 feet more snow than our previous snowiest December (Dec 1992 with 172.5”)
- So far with just the snow we’ve received to date (265”), we are nearing our season snowfall total for all of last winter (307”). We need just 42” or 3.5 feet of snow to surpass last season’s snowfall total.
- Our season snowfall to date is 13+ feet more than we had on this date in 2017 and 2019, which were our last two record-breaking snowfall seasons (2016-17, 2018-19).
- Over the previous 5 seasons, we have ended December with an average upper mountain base of 49 inches. We ended this December with a base of 126”, which is 2.5x more than that average, or nearly 6.5 feet more. Our base is also currently 4 feet above what our next closest end-of-year-base was in the last 5 years (2017: 74”)
Cheers to more snow and pow turns in 2022!