WOO HOO it’s time for Freedom Fest! That means skiing and riding in tanktops, swimming and soaking at 8,200′, jamming to free music and eating hot dogs. Not to mention, you’ll be able to check off of an item from your bucket list with turns in the summer! Here’s what you can expect from this weekend:
Summer Skiing and Riding
Saturday-Tuesday // 8:30am-2pm
Groomers are prepping the slopes for Freedom Fest! Photo taken June 29 by Sam Kieckhefer
We’re beyond excited to kick off Freedom Fest this weekend and we hope you are too! Here’s what we plan to operate July 1-4, weather and conditions permitting:
- Aerial Tram
- Gold Coast
- Shirley Lake
- Big Blue Express*
- Please note hiking is not permitted with exception to access High Camp via Shirley Lake ridge
* May not last all 4 days, so please stay tuned to the app and website for real-time updates
New Features for the Weekend
The park crew has been working all week to build new features for the weekend. Be sure to check out the 5 jumps and 5 jibs off Gold Coast this weekend from 8:30am-2pm! Photo taken June 29 by Liesl Kenney.
What to Pack
What to bring to Freedom Fest
- Suncreen (remember, you’ll be at elevation 8,200′)
- Sunglasses. Great companions to sunny’s are a hat and croakies.
- Red, white and blue attire and/or American Flags…plural.
- Your 2016-17 or 2017-18 season pass, lift ticket, Tahoe Super 2 or 2016-17 Mountain Collective Pass. Don’t have a ticket. Score a sweet deal here.
- Skis, boots, poles or snowboard, boots…obviously 🙂 Don’t have gear? No problem. Rent some from us.
- Bathing suit and a towel! Did you know there is a pool & hot tub mid-mountain’? It’s awesome.
- Shorts and a tank top. It’s California and, yes, we ski in this attire.
- Warm clothes to change into for concerts in the afternoon/night
Weekend Parking Tips
1. Arrive early
If you’re planning to ski or ride, try to arrive before the mountain is open to ensure convenient parking and to beat traffic. You can kick back and grab coffee or a bite to eat before the slopes open.
We strongly encourage carpooling with friends, family and neighbors. With our POW Carpool Parking, vehicles with 4 or more passengers will have access to close-in parking spots. There are 100+ POW Parking spaces at Squaw Valley, and they are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
3. Use Public Transportation
The TART (Truckee-Tahoe Regional Transit) offers regular daily shuttles to and from Squaw Valley around North Lake Tahoe. You can also score a free ride late night! Check out the night rider service provided by TART here.
High Camp Pool & Hot Tub
Open Daily // 11am-6pm PLUS DJ Parties
Cool down at our mid-mountain High Camp pool. You can lounge poolside, take a dip, or have lunch and drinks at our Poolside Cafe. There will also be DJs grooving at the hot tub all weekend long from 12-3pm. Check out the DJ lineup here.
Freedom Fest Free Music Lineup
Big Head Todd and the Monsters // Gold Coast Revival Concerts // WinterWonderGrass All-Stars and Special Guests
A look back at the Gold Coast Concert Bowl in 1991 with Jerry Garcia Band. This weekend we’ll pay tribute to this memorable concert with Pickin’ on the Dead concerts with the WinterWonderGrass All-stars
- 12-2pm: Gold Coast Revival: The WinterWonderGrass All-Stars perform Pickin’ on the Dead featuring Tyler Grant
- 4-5pm: Live music by Chi McClean at KT Base Bar
- 5:30-7pm: Live music by Grant Farm at KT Base Bar
- 12-2pm: Gold Coast Revival: The WinterWonderGrass All-Stars perform Pickin’ on the Dead featuring Tyler Grant and special guest Bridget Law of Elephant Revival
- 4-5pm: Free Live music by WinterWonderGrass All Stars at KT Base Bar
- 5:30-7pm: Free Live music by Ryland Baxter at KT Base Bar
- 12-2pm: Gold Coast Revival: The WinterWonderGrass All-Stars perform Pickin’ on the Dead featuring The Lil Smokies
- 4:40-6:40pm: Free Live music by Bonfire Dub featuring Bridget Law of Elephant Revival at KT Base Bar
- 7:20-9:20pm: Free Big Head Todd and the Monsters at KT Base Bar
- 9:20pm: Fireworks
- 6-8:30pm: Bluesdays with Chris Cane
* Gold Coast Revival shows are FREE with season pass or lift ticket
Fireworks on Monday, July 3 at 9:20pm
Best viewing from KT Base Bar
Share with us
Use #SquawFreedomFest on Instagram & Twitter
SQUAW KIDS ADVENTURE CAMP
Need something for your kids to do while you enjoy Freedom Fest? Our Squaw Kids Adventure Camp is a great way for your child to discover adventure and explore outdoors at Squaw Valley with experienced counselors and other kids. Open July 1-3!