We know you’ve all been waiting patiently for the official word on when this season will come to a close. The harbingers of summer are all here: melting snow, warm days, clear bike paths… But skiing and snowboarding are still on the menu at the Spring Skiing Capital, especially in the mornings when the snow is nice and cold. There’s still plenty to look forward to, from funky costume weekends to the return of much-loved annual events. Let’s take a look at what is happening around the mountain over the next month.
Please note that the dates here are largely estimates. We cannot say for certain when snowmelt might get to be too great for certain areas, and our goal is to run as much as possible for as long as possible.
- KT-22 will run through Sunday, April 3rd. After Sunday, we will assess whether or not we can run the lift on a day-by-day basis. Hiking access will continue for both KT-22 and Headwall after KT closes. As VP of Mountain Operations Michael Gross put it this afternoon, “It’s not the runs that are the problem, it is the ramps.” Maintaining ramps, especially on ridgelines, is getting harder as the snow melts out. We will not be doing an extended day for KT-22 on the final day as we have done in years past. It is just too sticky out there in the late afternoon!
- Our goal is to keep Mountain Run open through April 10th. Siberia should be able to stay open through April 17th. Beyond April 17th, we will continue to run Shirley and Gold Coast, and any other upper mountain lifts that snowpack allows.
- At Alpine, Treeline Cirque, Roundhouse, and Summit are expected to make it to mid-April. We are targeting the 17th as closing dates for these lifts. Other lifts at Alpine will likely close before 4/17.
- We expect to be able to stay open for skiing & snowboarding in some capacity through May 1st. We will close after that until summer operations begin on June 18th.
Other Conditions, Lift, & Terrain Updates
- At Palisades, our North-facing mid-mountain study plot had about a 90-inch base as of Thursday, 3/31. We are losing roughly 2 inches per day from this plot in current temperatures.
- Red Dog and Resort Chair are expected to last through April 10th, weather & conditions permitting. You might want to come out before then and say goodbye to the Red Dog chair: It is getting replaced with a high-speed six-pack for next season! We’ll have more updates on that for you starting next month, and we’ll be dedicating blogs to the build process so you can follow along with both the Red Dog rehaul and the Gondola project.
- This weekend at Alpine, Summit, Alpine Bowl Chair, Roundhouse, Treeline Cirque, Yellow, Meadow, and the Big Carpet will run. Kangaroo will be open on Friday and Sunday, but will have impacts from Ski Team events all weekend. Yellow will also have Ski Team training Friday-Sunday. On Saturday, the Big Mountain Alpine Cup will take place in West Palisade as well.
- There will be Ski Team events going on at Palisades over the next 10 days. Siberia will be the venue for these races Friday – Monday, and possibly throughout next week depending on conditions. We are starting these events early and aiming to have them be 1/2 days only to keep skiers off the hill during the warmest times of day in an effort to preserve snow.
- On Saturday 4/2, there is a chance of precipitation in the forecast. This time of year, rain can bring lightning and thunder to the area, so while the chance is low, there is a small chance of lightning hold on Saturday. We will tweet any updates from our Mountain Ops Twitter account.
- Temperatures at mid-mountain (7,000 feet) will be hovering in the low 50s with clear skies this weekend. Starting next Wednesday, we get into the mid-60s and possibly even into the 70s by the weekend.
Events & Venues
- Cushing Crossing is scheduled for Saturday, April 16th! Delayed by more than two years, the 30th annual pond skim event will finally return. To highlight the excitement we all feel about this, Cushing Crossing will be followed by the free Spring Tracks concert, which will feature a set from both G. Love and DJ Logic. This date is sure to be action-packed and fun-filled. You won’t want to miss the wild costumes, the wipe-outs, or the live beats.
- Snow Golf at Alpine is scheduled for Saturday, April 9th. The whole weekend will be “Caddy Shack” themed, so don’t forget to wear khakis and plaid on the 9th and 10th!
- Plaza Bar will close after Sunday, April 3rd. Ikon Thursday happy hour will move to KT Base Bar with $5 Beer specials for the rest of the season.
- The Chalet at Alpine’s last day of operations will be next Sunday, April 10th.
Other General Updates
- Spring access for 2022-23 Ikon Pass holders begins on Monday, April 11th.
- The annual spring Demo sale has started! You must visit us on-site to see what skis & snowboards are available for sale. We will not take orders over the phone.